Thursday, June 15, 2006

Sleepless in Minnesota

Here I am, at 1:30 in the morning, supposed to be sleeping. Normally, I wouldn't care exactly when I found myself in bed on a summer night, as the last couple summers since graduation have had me not working but instead looking for a teaching job or packing for a move. But early Thursday morning we are on a flight to South Bend in anticipation of buying our first house. I was going to be good, get a good night's sleep so I'm ready. And I just tossed and turned for over an hour and had to crawl out of bed. No telling what is keeping me awake.

One explanation could be anticipation of a big change, but I don't sense that as the catalyst. I would more likely place the blame on the start of my summer. I seem to be rested from my school year, and my body is realizing it can get more than six hours of sleep on a weeknight now that I don't have to be out the door by 6:30 AM. I don't think my body has completely accepted this, so getting about eight hours a night is decadent and murmurings of mutiny are sounding. Apparently I was well adjusted and my body, even though exhausted with that sleep schedule during the year, likes the thought of it in the summer. We'll see what transpires.

If we're lucky enough to get free internet connections on our travels, you'll get updates during our trip. Otherwise, look for a summation upon our return next week. Perhaps Eric will still be in shock after dropping a down payment and gasping with the thought of a mortgage.

No comments: