Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Music


Christmas tree ornaments
Originally uploaded by TopTechWriter.US.
Like any office, we listen to Christmas music during the holidays. When I'm not in control, we tend to listen to a local radio station that switches to holiday music in November, and I have a theory that the employees all go on vacation for eight weeks and simply repeat the same playlist with no adjustments year to year. Since I listen for about eight hours a day, I believe I am a reliable source on this.

It's the third year of hearing this song, and in addition to having odd lyrics, it still strikes me as trying to cram everything into one song. I hereby present the lyrics of "Santa Claus and Popcorn" by Merle Haggard:
Santa Claus and popcorn jingle bells and reindeer horns
Christmas trees and mistletoe Jesus loves me this I know

Carols singing Silent Night Crosby dreams of Christmas white
We celebrate cause the King was born with Santa Claus and popcorn

Children dancing round the tree sleighbells ringing merrily
Snowballs flying through the air happiness is everywhere

4 comments:

P said...

Our lab computer ate Holly's Christmas CD! I tried to get it out this morning using the manual eject hole... but I'm worried I damaged something. (it still isn't out, but now makes a horrendous sound when it spins.)

Rachel said...

At first I was like, "whatever," but then I was laughing by the time I got to "reindeer horns."

Hope you are surviving the music! I have one more band concert this Wednesday - we play Sleigh Ride and I always think of you doing the whip-crack - and then I should be free.

Moonlit Goddess said...

Honestly, I have never heard this song before. I listen to a country station that periodically plays Christmas music, but never have I heard this Merle Haggard song. Too Funny!

Darci said...

I find this kind of a profound view of how we regard the holidays. I know it feels like a huge whirlwind to me. I have two Christmases to attend while my sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew have at least 5!